Monday, January 2, 2012

City Chicken Recipe

Here is my City Chicken recipe- In the Binghamton, New York area of the Southern Tier of NY, the gateway to the finger lakes this is a common recipe, you can buy the meat cut up at the market and at some lunch restaurants you can buy it ready made. I use pork and beef, though the traditional recipe calls for veal and pork. I buy a nice lean sirlion beef and nice lean pork.
I usually buy 1 1/2 lbs of each meat- you can buy more or less. This amount feeds us for 3 meals and my inlaws for 1. You marintate the meat the day before you want to cook it.
City Chicken
1 1/2 pounds sirlion beef cut up into 1" cubes
1 1/2 pounds pork cut up into 1" cubes
You can cut the meat a little smaller if you desire. In separate bowls add salt, pepper, garlic salt and sweet basil. I mix the seasonings well and make sure all of the meat is covered, keeping pork and beef in their own bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. You will need small wooden skewers to place the meat on.
Alternate the meat placing 4 pieces on the skewers. Roll in egg and milk and shake in the extra crispy shake and bake. I use a fry daddy for the frying- sure beats the way my Mom had to do it in several frying pans. I fry until crispy. Place on paper towels to get the grease off and layer in a foil lined cake pan. Layer the city chicken on the foil until all is done, cover with foil and bake 350 until warmed all the way through. We used to take this on picnics and warm on the grill in the foil. It tastes yummy the next day or so if anything is left.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your recipe with all of us. Sounds yummy and will have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Pink Saturday and wishing you a blessed New Year. Thanks for sharing your recipe, it looks yummy! Warmly, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Linda,
    That looks delicious!! I hope you're having a great weekend!! We went to the lake for a few hours and it was really pretty--It's been nice weather, so I was happy to go out and have a special day. Sending (((hugs))) your way,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never heard of this recipe before.
    Thanks for the tip--as well as for your Follow!
    :)
    Rose

    ReplyDelete

I hope you have a day full of love and blessings! Thanks for stopping by. Linda