Friday, October 28, 2011

Happy 125th Birthday to Lady Liberty!

Isn't it awesome that something so special to us in the USA is 125 years old today! I was thinking this morning of what the immigrants who came to our country in the 1800's thought of that special statue standing in the harbor, and what it may have meant to them. Freedom, Salvation, a whole new life? Today I was wondering what my Great Grandmother on my Moms side thought when she saw that beautiful symbol.
She came from Austria at the age of 15 and traveled alone- traveling by ship in those days and being so young besides, must have posed some terror and excitement at the same time! I also have ship records for cousins on my Grandmothers side who came at the age of 3 from England. If you get a username and password you can go to the Ellis Island Foundation and find records of your own ancestors. You can also log into ancestor.com and trace your family tree. My Mom went back 10 generations on my Dads side, a lot of interesting reading and I have all of that valuable information. I hope you all are having a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you have a day full of love and blessings! Thanks for stopping by. Linda