Monday, September 26, 2011

I am back from my trip- it did not go as planned Thanks to Tropical Storm Lee!

Hello All,

 I am back from my trip to New York to see my Dad. First off his health wasn't the best so our planned trip to Shanksville was off. Then Tropical Storm Lee just had to go to the East Coast and make a huge disaster! We would not have been able to get there anyhow. I left on Sept. 8th and my flight was cancelled from Philadelphia to Binghamton. I got a flight for 9:30 that night to a different airport actually closer to my Dads home- then my brother had to figure out what back roads to take to Ithaca that were not flooded or had any bridges out. We got within 5 miles of the Ithaca airport and the pilot said that the visibility wasn't enough for them to land. So we circled over Binghamton where we were supposed to land for an hour, then they decided to go back to Philadelphia. It was after 1 am by then and I had been up since 3 am Colorado time on the 8th. I wasn't about to go to a hotel in the middle of the night so most of us stayed in the closed terminal, with just a few cleaning and maintenance people- I think I slept all of 1 hour. Of course my iphone charger was in my luggage and it was running low- I called expedia and got a flight for Friday the 9th at 9:30 am, they gave us tickets for Friday and my flight was for 9:30 pm, could not stay there that long!! Humidity is not my friend so I was hot and sweaty and just lovely by the time we got out on Friday am. I finally got to my Dads on late Friday afternoon without my luggage, as no matter what they tell you- your luggage goes to the final destination which was Binghamton, NY for me- all roads closed, state of emergency-  got some clothes, an iphone charger and cosmetics a box of wine and then went to my Dads. Saturday I found out my luggage was in Binghamton as the airport reopened- but roads and bridges were still closed- I got my luggage delivered on Sunday by yellow cab. Yeah! We went down to our small town of Owego, NY and the devastation of the flood was so unreal it was hard to look. People were walking around like zombies throwing their life's belongings to the curb. I just cried looking at all of the mess. Our little town has about 1800 homes and they said over 3/4 of them had some kind of flood damage. Homes that have never flooded before got it this time- the underpass photo shows how high it was on Sunday the 11th. It was at the top the day before. The Susquehanna River crested in our town at a record 41' Before I left the roads had opened and power was back on in some of the areas and trucks were cleaning up as fast as possible. So many of my friends and old neighbors have lost everything. Daddy and I took clothes to the Church to help.
I did go the the farm down the road from my Dad and they had the pumpkin people pretty much set up. I love to go there- we went there all of our life to see the pumpkin village and also at Jackson's Farm, which I am sure was totally flooded. I am so happy my Dad is out of town and up! When I left my Dad was doing ok, not as well as I am hoping but little by little he will get stronger. We did go and meet with cousins on my Great Grandmother's side. We had a good time. I found some photos in Dads basement that I brought home of my Great, Great Grandparents and others and found a photo of one of my Great Grandmothers children- Lucy May I have her death cabinet card and now I have a photo, she died at just over a year old and is buried with my Great Grandmother. I will have some Vintage Photos and other items up soon, still catching up! My darling Grand Angels- Ayanna is now 14 and 5' 7" way taller than me! LOL! She is doing well with her volley ball and Nayla is now learning routines for being a Cheerleader, of course she is in her element! I  saw these cute decorations today while we were out that I had to take a photo of. Candles or battery Fairy lights would look cute with these too!
Please send a prayer for my dear Sister in Law Laurie, she has been valiantly fighting cancer for many years now, she just turned 52. We got the news on Friday that she has only a  few days to a few weeks. We went over on Saturday and spent some time with her. We cried, talked and laughed. It will be hard to let her go!
Please add a comment to my Angels for Irene and next week I will add another item to the giveaway.


  1. Oh dear me, you really didn't have a very easy time of it.

  2. What a trip! I had a nightmare of a trip similar to yours about 8 years ago, hmmm wonder if it is a requirement of life! Thanks for sharing your Pictures Linda!! Prayers for your sister in law too!!


I hope you have a day full of love and blessings! Thanks for stopping by. Linda